Tuesday, May 30, 2006

A lion has roared! Who will not fear?

A lion has roared! Who will not fear? Or also there is no smoke without fire, I would say.

Some people, like poor Chelentano may chop woods – I have no ax, and no fireplace so lacking of chopping woods, and besides I am a woman, I read Bible. Go on reading Bible. Prophets Amos, Michah, Nahum, Habakkuk. Was thinking of this lion roar for the third day. Amos 3. Indeed its true – a lion roars before the prey – a wonderful formula. After doing a little labour, have found an interesting site today:

http://www.enduringword.com/commentaries/3003.htm

1. (1-2) God’s love and care for Israel makes their judgment unavoidable.

Hear this word that the LORD has spoken against you, O children of Israel, against the whole family which I brought up from the land of Egypt, saying: “You only have I known of all the families of the earth; therefore I will punish you for all your iniquities.”
2. (3-6) The inescapable logic of God’s judgment.

Can two walk together, unless they are agreed? Will a lion roar in the forest, when he has no prey? Will a young lion cry out of his den, if he has caught nothing? Will a bird fall into a snare on the earth, where there is no trap for it? Will a snare spring up from the earth, if it has caught nothing at all? If a trumpet is blown in a city, will not the people be afraid? If there is calamity in a city, will not the LORD have done it?

a. Can two walk together, unless they are agreed? In this section, Amos connects six statements that are obvious true. In our manner of speaking he might have said, “Is the Pope Catholic?”

b. If there is calamity in a city, will not the LORD have done it? The six statements of the obvious lead into a seventh statement, each one reinforcing this final point. When judgment comes against the cities of Israel, everyone should know that it was the LORD who has done it. It won’t be an accident, fate, or “bad luck.” It will be the hand of the LORD.

Yes, all all my people of Israel should know His will – all parts of all my ‘bodies’, inners and outers should follow His

And love this!

3. (7-8) The inevitable message of the prophet.

Surely the Lord GOD does nothing, unless He reveals His secret to His servants the prophets. A lion has roared! Who will not fear? The Lord GOD has spoken! Who can but prophesy?

Amos is saying, “Don’t blame me. I’m only the messenger.” As natural as it is for a man to fear when a lion roars, that is how natural it is for the prophet to prophesy when the Lord GOD has spoken.

Though the site gives some another meaning – I noticed that my methodology of reading the Bible is not fallacy – more I can open so many doors here as if I have some golden key…

If so many doors are open in your absence – oh how many I would have had in your presence.

1 comment:

Proserpine said...

I had got a poem today from him. He loves me, and loved. I am so happy, you will not understand. And don't say any word of any sense and simplicity today, please. Please, noli me tangere - I am as if a newborn...